02 April, 2011

白纸黑字 · Black and White

我觉得世界的‘白纸黑字’形式已经受到了威胁。

I have the feeling that the black-and-white way of work has been threatened with the development of cyberworld and technology.

就以扫描科技来说,很多事情变得‘死无对证’。

Taking scanning technology as an example, many things became impossible to verify as there's no proof for some electronics stuff.

(Click to read on)


为什么这么说呢?看到一则网民的抱怨,说搭地铁时无法扫描卡出关。后来到柜台弄一弄,就能出去了。他去看了车费记录,发现扣了七角钱。

Why do I say that? Well, I came across an article on STomp of someone complaining that 70 cents was deducted from his card when he couldn't scan his card to exit from MRT station. The person at the help counter just scan his card on the system and he could exit thereafter. Upon checking his transportation record, he realised the SMRT person deducted 70 cents from his card.

完整的报导在这里:http://bit.ly/flgRlb
Click on the link above to read the complete article.


有些人说便宜了他,但我是有买月票的,今天傍晚也同样无法出关。也是弄了弄,什么都没说,就能出去了。

Some people said that his fare should have been more than that and he shouldn't complain. But the same thing happened to me this evening, and I'm actually a concession pass holder. An SMRT person simply scanned and returned me my card too, before I could leave the MRT station.

我觉得SMRT这样没有交代或解释的做法十分不老实,也让人们可能在不知情的情况下吃亏。

Under such situation, I think SMRT should have made things clearer? Instead of such simple-solution-no-explanation method that gives people the impression of "cheating money without our realisation".

一个月月票已经将近一百元了,如果你们还没交代就随便扣除,是不是很没有道理呢?

A concession pass is already costing a student like me near to $100 a month, and if you just deduct money from our cards so easily without explanation, don't you think this is a little too much?


明天我又要特地到地铁站查看了。如果有扣我的钱,三件事情会发生:

Anyway, it seems like I would have to make a trip down to the MRT station tomorrow to check my card history. What made me worry was that the screen didn't show the usual concession "2 rides left" when I scanned out, but showed my card monetary value.

If I find out that they did deduct my money, three things would happen-


(1)屏幕显示的照片会出现在这里,额外赠送一篇臭骂的佳作;
I'd grab a screenshot of my transportation record and publish it here, which would possibly come with a complimentary cursing entry;


(2)找SMRT职员理论,要求他们道歉并退钱;
I'd argue with the SMRT staff and demand refund;


(3)让以上连接网址的篇章有下文。
Let there be a part 2 to the STomp article above.


如果没有,我会在这里澄清……但还是要提醒其他人这种事件的存在。
If they did not deduct money from my card this evening, I would clarify here, but this entry would stay as a reminder to other users out there.


没有白纸黑字多了便捷,但那是用权利换来的,所以别高兴得太早。

A world without the current principles of black-and-white for transactions and whatnot may be convenient, but keep in mind that such convenience is exchanged at the cost of our awareness of what's happening, and our welfare. So don't be too happy about it too soon.



Edit: I've checked and they didn't charge me extra money. But still...