29 September, 2011

给钱 · Compensate

“给钱”直译成英文想必是 “to pay money”,但为什么是 “compensate”呢?

The direct translation of this post title could have been “to pay money”, but why did I choose to translate as “compensate”?


这是一篇成长的笔录。

This is a memento of my growing up years.



妈妈刚问我明天早上是否能够接大舅母,而讨论她的行程后却说不需要了。

Moments ago, my mum was asking if I could pick my aunt up tomorrow morning. However, she called off the arrangement upon discussion with my aunt’s daughter.


后来听着妈妈与舅母女儿通电话聊走马看花的行程,心里忽然有种遗憾——因为工作时间而无法陪亲戚,好想给妈妈一点钱,让她代我陪伴。

When I heard my mum’s conversation with her regarding the touring plans for my aunt, I suddenly felt a little regretful that I couldn’t bring her around Singapore. Following that, I had a thought of giving my mum some money to “reimburse” for the expenses she would incur when bringing my aunt around.


原本觉得这样的念头并没有什么不对,直到后来想想,我怎么会想用钱弥补自身无法办到的事?

I didn’t think much of the thought at that moment, but upon reflection, I started to ponder about a question- since when did I learn to compensate what I couldn’t do in person, with money?


这是否就是双薪家庭中,独生子女一贯的经历?

And was this how the only child of the family with two working adults was always said to feel?


这“给钱”的用意,是否就是一种弥补、一种赔偿?

What exactly is the intention behind this giving of money? Is it a kind of compensation?



这钱的意义究竟是“我的遗憾,祝你快乐”还是后来演变成的“我不重要,物质能代我陪伴”?甚至是“有钱就好,哪需要我?”

Does it mean “I can’t be there for you, but I hope you have a reason to be happy”? Or the gradually-changing form as “my companionship isn’t important as money would do the trick”? Or even “what value is my physical companionship when all you need is money?”



从理工学院毕业不到一年,我的思想、行为等似乎都在潜移默化中经历了诸多的改变。我是否也会变成无法明白年轻人、用大人的方式敷衍他人基本需求的混蛋?我是否也正学着用物质收买人心,糟蹋他人的努力与心意?

It has barely been a year since my graduation from polytechnic, and my thoughts and actions seems to have changed gradually, unconsciously. Am I becoming one of those adults who would fail to understand the youths in the future? Would I become one of those moronic adults who do a superficial job of socializing with just money? Am I also learning to bribe people with materialistic gains, forsaking true effort and thoughtfulness?



在这“给钱”表面上就能解决问题的社会中成长,我究竟会蜕变,还是“退”而“变”劣?

Just what kind of individual am I developing into, when I’m positioned in a shallow society that simply solves problems with money? Would I truly develop, or become one of those backward individual who stoop that low for gains and successes?



思索着。

I wonder.