30 October, 2012

没有学生记者 · You're not a student journalist

今天完成了一位学生的采访作业,我的责任就是坐在电脑前,乖乖回答他/她(对不起,我连你的性别都没搞清楚)的问题。
Just completed an email interview with a student. My job was to sit in front of the computer, and type out all my answers for him. On a side note, I didn't even find out what's his/her gender.

完成了他/她(越想越不好意思!)的问题,心里有种说不出的感悟。
The interview made me realise some things that I didn't realise before.

我相信现实中没有所谓的“学生记者”。
I believe there's no 'student journalist'.



记者就是记者,除了在老师面前(为了评估)低头外,你要相信你就是记者
A journalist/reporter is as the title states. Aside from being in front of your teacher (that makes you a student), you should always believe that you are a journalist.

就算大家拿着Canon Mark 5D II 而你拿着2006年出产的数码相机,你也是记者。
Even if on the interview venue, everyone's holding a Canon Mark 5D II and you're using an ancient compact camera, you're still a journalist.

就算别人拿着最新、最大、最复杂的摄影机,而你用的是iPhone,你也是记者。
Even if people have the bigger, newer, more complicated filming equipment, and you're using a mere iPhone camera, you're still a journalist.

唯一没有差别,也不应该有差别的是准备功课
The only thing that doesn't differ between you and them, should be your preparations.



也是为什么我说,别把自己当成学生记者。
Which is why I say, you should NEVER regard yourself as a student journalist.

说自己是学生记者,看到很混乱的场面,你会说“学生记者应付不来”,错失手无寸铁却还要勇往直前的学习机会。
When you think of yourself as a S.J. (student journalist is too damn long to type!), you back off in face of setbacks, thinking that it isn't something you can handle as an S.J.

说自己是学生记者,到了采访的时候,会少些准备和气场,后来得不到满意的答案,就无奈说“别人看不起我是学生记者”。
When you think of yourself as an S.J., you are less confident in face of interviewees both commoners and professionals. When your attitude is reflected in your questioning, and affects the quality of answers you get, you tell yourself "oh, they don't take me seriously because I'm just a student".

说自己是学生记者,当别人拒绝你的时候,你会觉得“学生记者被拒绝是活该该死,算了”,少了拼死、“只有这样我才能成功,没有后路了”的决心。
When people reject you, you take it as "aiyah, it is common for S.J. to be rejected anyway. Forget it". You lose the persistence you should have as a reporter, telling yourself it's either DO or DIE.



这些是我的经验。认为自己摄影机比别人小、说话比别人小声、每次被推开,其实都不是因为我是学生记者,而是因为我不懂得尊重自己是记者的身份
These are my experiences so far - feeling inferior because my camera is smaller, my lens is cheaper, my voice is softer, my stand is weaker. These are not because I'm a student journalist, but because I don't know how to respect myself as a journalist.

懦弱的那一刻,不是因为你是学生记者,
You become vulnerable not because you are a student journalist,
 
只因为你把自己当学生在宠坏。
but because you protect yourself like a student.

虽然我有些时候还会自卑,但是已经慢慢明白了。
I would still feel inferior every now and then, but I'm slowly understanding and learning.

希望如果有学生看到这篇,能够找到拼死的勇气。
I hope that someone who is in my position would find the courage to become stronger after reading this entry.