04 September, 2013

Friends along the way

Singapore is a small country, so after attending media events for some time, you're bound to come across the same people. One thing I'm often asked is... isn't covering events alone sian and difficult?

I guess that's the whole point.

I'm never really a crowd people, and I enjoy being alone or in small groups. Don't get me wrong - I love the crowd, just that I prefer to be in smaller groups. Somewhere along the way growing up, I lost my sense of independence, and tend to hide behind others.

There's this saying in Chinese, that the person who runs ahead of all others is the first to die.

So I was comfortable being second, being an assistant, and ultimately, someone who doesn't have to be held responsible.

That's one of the personal reason why I decided to run my own website - I have to be solely responsible.

If I can't perform up to my own standards, I have to bear the responsibilities of screwed up photos.
If a freelancer does not deliver what's expected, it's my fault for not giving clear instructions.
Even if I'm 'not in the mood', I have to work, because there's no one else to take over everything.

That's my way of slowly reversing the bad habit, and learning to take charge once again.

But there are, indeed, low moments. Those moments when I wished I had someone to share the joy and excitement of meeting a certain celebrity, or when an event is delayed and I wished I had someone to chat with to pass the time.

So I'm very grateful when I gradually get to know more journalists better, and even forge friendships that may seem insignificant, but are of utmost importance during the most crucial moments.

During the last A-Prince event, we got to know each other better, and I'm glad to know people like Dzul, Xuanlin, Junsi, Joyce (jovenatheart!) and Emily. :)) All in all, it made all the waiting bearable, and all the effort even more worthwhile. At the end of the day, their companionship warmed my heart, and made me smile. 

I'm not the kind of person who can socialize very well. Sometimes I don't know what to say. Sometimes I'm not in the same frequency (worried about photoshoot instead of chatting mode), but these journalists-friends take the initiative to bring me into their groups just so I wouldn't have to be alone. :')

Let's just say I'm really glad to know these generous people, and they helped me more along the way than they know. For that, thank you. :))

I don't know where my career leads to for now, but wherever I go, I'll always know that I've made these friends who are worth more than anything else in this world that we call success.

So here's a photo of us posing as A-Prince greeting! The photo was taken right after the interview, where I was truly starstruck. :P